Saturday, August 30, 2014

A PAINTING CHALLENGE!


"Downstream" Laura Watmough
A client approached me this summer and asked if I could turn my 36x48 oil painting' Downstream' into a triptych - a painting that was in three separate canvases.
Add caption
The tricky part was that I didn't have reference for either side of my canvas and the painting was a few years old- could I even paint with the same kind of brushstrokes and colors?? Could I make the addition look like part of the original scene? would it be believable?

So off I go and get 2 12x48 canvases. After a consult with hubby Ed about how water flows, out comes the paintbrushes!!!

I matched the colors with the same brand as I had previously used. I also changed brushes too-fairly rigid synthetic flats. Then the fun begins.....

I was very inspired and the more I painted the more I remembered painting the large original panel. It was almost like muscle memory !
'Downstream' is now finished, framed and ready for pick up. It's been a great summer. ;0)








No comments: