Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Student of the Month DEC 09- Wendy Pfeifer



The honor of being Hidden Talent's first Student of the Month goes to Wendy Pfeifer!
I've known Wendy for many years. We have been friends almost since I began teaching over 15 yrs ago. It helped that we were each mothers of three sons...we had lots in common! We've even golfed together in Ladies League ( I'm not sure if what I did could actually be called golfing, but Wendy has a great shot and doesn't seem to mind me exhausting myself with those 'worm burners' We were jealous of her- she actually got the darn ball in the air! ) Wendy is very active-yoga, exercising, golfing, travelling to exotic places, and that includes visiting every curling venue in the world!
Wendy is one of the few students who took lessons in my home as well as in my present location in Campbell Park. She was a great support and encouraged me to take the leap to a commercial space!
It is hard to believe, but it took some coaxing to get Wendy to switch from watercolor to oils! She is an amazing talent and has an instinct

for a great composition. You can find Wendy at Hidden Talent most Tuesday afternoons!

Wendy Pfeifer Interview
How did you start art at Hidden Talent?
My mother painted when I was a teenager. She did wonderful watercolor paintings. She sparked an interest in me. I saw an ad in the St. Albert Further Education Brochure for a painting class at “Little White House”. The first lessons I took were Dye on Rice Paper when Laura was giving lessons in the basement of her home. I took watercolor lessons off and on while my sons were growing up. When Laura opened Hidden Talent, I was still working with watercolor but after a few sessions she encouraged me to try oil.


What is your favorite subject to paint?
I didn’t think I really had a favorite subject until I looked back at the paintings I have done. Most of them are of nature or people, some of which I know and some of which I took photos of while on vacation.

What was the reaction of family and friends to your oil paintings?
Their reaction has been one of surprise (they wondered where this passion came from and how long it had been hiding within me) and of support. They are strongly encouraging me to paint more.

What will you paint for your next painting?
My next painting will be one of a Thai lady. I took this photo at a river market while on a meditation retreat in Thailand.
What is your favorite color or tool?
My favorite color has always been green. I think it is because I love the outdoors so much. But, I just finished two water lily paintings with lots of green in them; so I am ready for a change. I have not found a favorite paint brush yet. I am still trying different ones. In the New Year, I have made a commitment to myself to purchase a few new brushes and try them. Also, I would like to try a painting on a larger canvas.
What is your most important tip to pass on?
If I was to pass on a tip to a beginner painting, I would tell them not to be too critical of themselves (although my husband tells me I am I own worst critic), relax and enjoy the learning process. I wish I would have started painting when I was younger because I might have learned more. However, at this time in my life; I have more time to paint. I can relax more easily and am more patient with myself. A 3 hr class goes by and I wonder where the time went. It leaves me wanting more.

No comments: