Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Art of Hanging Art

Laura Watmough explaining how to hang art in your home.






The lovely Susan Jones and  gifted Photographer April from the St. Albert Gazette come by the studio to interview me on how to hang art work. I have many  gallery shows a year and my husband Ed hangs art in my clients homes, so I was happy to help out.
Here is the article:

Gallery hanging:
Now, homes are very different than galleries. There are times that I have to hang Hidden Talent Art SALOON STYLE- which means art from top to bottom on a wall. This method was used extensively in the French Academy of Art in order to exhibit all the art that was submitted for awards. This can still be seen in some museums  ( Louve) and private art collections.
The ideal situation would be that each artwork would have enough space around it to separate it from the others and show it off to its best advantage. In retail galleries, wall space is expensive and artworks from a popular artist would have the most prominent position.
When I hang student shows I try to have a theme or a dominant color- ex. animal art in a grouping or a bit of red in each area of the gallery. This helps with the “visual flow” and leads the viewer through the gallery on a hopefully very pleasant visual experience.





No comments: